When homeowners think about their indoor comfort, they usually think of their heating and air conditioning: the “H” and “AC” in the acronym “HVAC.” They often forget about the “V” sandwiched in the middle, standing for “ventilation.” But that letter is in the acronym for a good reason—ventilation is essential for comfort in a home and for better indoor air quality. Problems with ductwork in the ventilation system can lead to poor heating/cooling distribution, humidity swings, dusty and polluted air, and a plunge in HVAC energy efficiency.
Atlantic Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Inc. Blog: Posts Tagged ‘Rehoboth Beach’
Strange sounds are one of the ways your boiler communicates to you that a problem has developed. Different sounds can come from different systems, and today we’re going to talk about some sounds that indicate problems with your boiler. If you hear something abnormal coming from your boiler, don’t ignore it and don’t try to diagnose it yourself; instead, call for the help of a trained expert, like the ones at Atlantic Refrigeration. Hiring a certified professional for heating repair in Rehoboth Beach helps ensure that your boiler problems will be repaired quickly, correctly and efficiently. Are you experiencing problems with your boiler? Call us today!
What Strange Sounds Can Mean
Here are some examples of strange boiler sounds and what they can indicate:
- Banging or booming sound at start-up – a banging or booming sound when your boiler begins a heating cycle can indicate a problem with delayed ignition (gas) or an issue with the oil pump (oil). In either case, the boom sound is caused by excess fuel igniting in the combustion chamber, which is a potentially dangerous situation.
- Rumbling at shut-down – this noise typically occurs with boilers that use oil, and it is a continuation of a problematic oil pump: oil is leaking into the combustion chamber and may take longer to extinguish, causing the rumbling sound.
- Bubbling sound in the pipes – a bubbling sound in the pipes is usually indicative of air trapped in the piping system. Excessive air is removed by bleeding your radiators.
- Grinding noises – grinding noise are typical of a ball bearing issue. The ball bearings in the motor need to be properly lubricated to work correctly; if they become dry, friction causes them to grind. Grinding is not a good thing for any part of your system, so if you hear a grinding noise, call for assistance immediately.
As the homeowner, you know what kinds of sounds are normal during the operation of your boiler and what aren’t.
If you are hearing strange noises coming from your boiler heating system in Rehoboth Beach, contact Atlantic Refrigeration today.
One of the best ways to prepare for winter is to get your heating system ready to work – this also includes your ductwork. Ductwork has a long lifespan, typically 30 years or more, but that doesn’t mean it won’t need repair at some point. Faulty ductwork can cause several problems, and one of the best ways to reduce or eliminate these problems is to schedule duct sealing in Rehoboth Beach. With professional duct sealing, you can repair the holes and cracks in your system, bringing your ductwork back to optimal functioning. Call Atlantic Refrigeration today and schedule an appointment with one of our NATE-certified technicians.
What Is Duct Sealing?
When a technician seals your ducts, he/she uses a few tools to ensure that the seal lasts. Typical materials are mastic adhesive, professional-grade foil or fiberglass tape and metal bindings. When repairing holes and cracks, the technician will first cover the damaged area with mastic, which is a fibrous adhesive that hardens into a seal. Next, the technician will place a piece of professional-grade tape over the mastic to reinforce the seal. The mastic is allowed time to cure so that it can harden.
If a section of your ductwork has become disconnected from another, the technician will apply mastic to both ends, then join them and wrap them in a metal binding. The binding will be secured with sheet metal nails and the mastic will be allowed to cure.
Benefits of Duct Sealing
- Improved indoor air quality – when you have cracks and holes in your ductwork, particles and contaminants can get into your air flow and are delivered directly into your living spaces. This can compromise the quality of your indoor air.
- Improved energy efficiency – many homes with ducted heating and cooling systems experience a level of air loss, but faulty ductwork can account for up to 30% of the total air loss. Your HVAC system will compensate for any amount of air loss, so the higher the air loss, the more energy your system will need to compensate for the loss. By repairing these issues, you can restore your energy efficiency levels.
- Less stress on your system – not only does your system use more energy when there is significant air loss, it also runs harder. This puts stress on your system that can cause premature aging and wear and tear.
Professional duct sealing in Rehoboth Beach can help improve your indoor air quality and energy efficiency.
Get ahead of winter energy costs this year and schedule an appointment with an Atlantic Refrigeration certified specialist today.